- City Hall
- Development Services
- Municipal Services
- Solid Waste Management & Recycling
- Mandatory Organic Recycling
Mandatory Organic Recycling
Mandatory Commercial Organic Recycling Requirements - AB 1826
The State of California enacted new legislation, AB 1826, a Mandatory Commercial Organic Recycling provision affecting businesses and multi-family dwellings that becomes effective April 1, 2016. Below are the requirements of the new regulations and information to assist you with compliance.
Who Must Recycle?
- Any business that generates 2 cubic yards or more of solid waste per week.
- Multi-family dwellings with five or more units.
Businesses will need to recycle the following types of organic waste: food waste, green waste, landscape and pruning waste, nonhazardous wood waste, and food soiled paper. Multi-family dwellings must recycle their green waste only.
What Do You Need To Do?
A recycling program needs to be arranged by April 1, 2016.
Recycling options include:
- Arrange for organic recycling service through your franchise hauler: Gilton Solid Waste 209-527-3781, www.gilton.com
- Recycle your organic waste on-site or self-haul the material to an organic recycling facility.
- Make arrangements to donate, sell and/or arrange for pickup of the organic material.
What You Need to Know:
The minimum organic recycling mandate threshold levels will be lowered and triggered by timelines and quantities. Here are the start dates:
April 1, 2016 - generators of 8 or more cubic yards or organic waste per week.
January 1, 2017 - generators of 4 or more cubic yards of organic waste per week.
January 1, 2019 - generators of 4 or more cubic yards of solid waste per week.
January 1, 2020 - generators of 2 or more cubic yards of solid waste per week (pending statewide progress).
Where to go for More Information:
Gilton Solid Waste Management, Inc. (209) 527-3781, www.gilton.com
California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery, CalRecycle's website: https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Recycle/commercial/organics/
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at (209) 863-7127.
Thank you for your cooperation with Recycling in Riverbank!